Insurance Advice for your Household

We understand the importance of insurance for income, life, our home and our car. We may even have health insurance too. But are you familiar with insurance that will cover you if a household worker is injured at your home?

Do you ever hire a cleaner, babysitter, gardener or similar?

Directly paying workers to help in or around your home means you could be considered an employer, even if the worker has an ABN. If someone you hire is injured while working for you, you may be liable for costs relating to their injury, like medical expenses or weekly wage payments if they can't work while recovering. A WorkCover Queensland Household Workers’ Insurance policy will cover you if this happens.

Why should you consider taking out the policy?

More than 30,000 Queenslanders take out cover for their at-home workers. It's a smart choice because some household worker compensation claims can reach over $100,000 (the average claim cost is $10,000).

As a homeowner or tenant, you'll want to be sure the injured person will get the care they need, as well as making sure you're covered for the costs.

While most home and contents policies include public liability insurance, this only covers visitors to your house and not people you employ to work on your property. In Queensland, the scheme is wholly operated by the state.

Next steps

Information is power, so take a look at these other information sources.


Need to talk to a Financial Planner?

Investment Zone is here for you. Arrange a free, no risk, no obligation appointment at

Contact Investment Zone


The information in this communication has been prepared on a general advice basis only. The advice has been prepared without taking account of your specific objectives, financial situation or needs. Accordingly, you should, before acting on the advice, consider the appropriateness of the advice having regard to your objectives, financial situation, and needs. In cases where the advice relates to the acquisition, or possible acquisition, of a particular financial product, you should obtain a Product Disclosure Statement (or other relevant information statements) and consider such document before you make any decision about whether or not to acquire the product. For these reasons, it is imperative that you seek advice from your financial adviser before making any investment decisions. Investment Zone Pty Ltd (ABN 18 104 622 611) provides financial services as a Corporate Authorised Representative no. 296974 of Financial Force Pty Ltd ABN 42 091 425 464, AFSL no. 238337

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square